Every client of the Hotel Marignan has visited the Place Maubert, either to take the metro or to buy fresh bread, wine, cheese or fruit from one of the stores that line the square. Very busy on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, when there is a large and colorful open air market, the square is rather empty on other days. Let’s engage in a bit of time travel to imagine this area in the Middle Ages, the Renaissance and the 19thcentury… Continue reading PLACE MAUBERT
A boat ride on the Seine is one of the classic experiences for visitors to Paris, and rightly so! Discovering Paris from the Seine makes it easy to understand the geography of Paris and the location of some of the city’s major monuments: Notre Dame, the Ile de la Cité, the Ile Saint-Louis, the Louvre, the Pont des Arts, the Institut de France, the place de la Concorde, the Tuileries Garden…not to mention the Eiffel Tower!
What are those dark green boxes that you see dotted along the banks of the Seine? “Les Bouquinistes “ or book sellers are a unique feature of Paris and a first step has already been taken by the Ministry of Culture for them to be recognized by UNESCO as a world heritage site. Continue reading THE BOUQUINISTES
The month of joy, lights and magic! Beside the beautiful decorations in most of the streets, many special concerts and people rushing around in the shops there is one very important detail of the Christmas period – Christmas markets! That’s where we go to buy presents and breath in the real Christmas spirit.
One of the most famous public squares in Paris is Place Saint- Michel found on the borderline between the fifth and the sixth arrondissements, facing the Ile de la Cité. It is linked to the Ile de la Cité by the bridge of the same name, Pont Saint –Michel.
The Arènes de Lutèce were built between the 1st and the end of the 2nd century and could once seat 15,000 people. The arena was used as an amphitheatre to show gladiatorial or animal combats, theatrical representations, games, and dances. Today it is the only remains of the Gallo-Roman period in Paris. For centuries he arena was lost and rediscovered only between 1860-1869 during the construction of the Rue Monge. It was opened as a public square in 1896.
One of the most famous public parks on the left bank. A good place to relax, read a book or walk around.
The park was originally owned by the duke of Luxembourg. Thanks to Queen Marie de Medicis (a descendant of the famous Italian family ), the widow of King Henri IV who decided to create this beautiful place beginning in 1612 as her new residence. In 1794, during the French Revolution, the palace served as a prison. Nowadays the building houses the French Senate.